Over at TheOtherMcCain, Stacy McCain’s sidekick Smitty has announced that he has been called up for duty in Afghanistan as a Navy reservist.
The attentive may recall that I’m a Navy reservist, and Afghanistan’s hasn’t much coast. Welcome to the modern, double-Jointed world, where Semper Gumby (always flexible) is the watchword. Have you supported Project Valor-IT yet?
As a staff REMF, it’s unlikely that I’ll be in harm’s way. This is really one year in an isolated locale, supporting the a few doughty Americans. Should some sort of combat situation come upon me, there in the capital, things shall have gone really awry. Unlikely. Also, as a 40-something ship driver from the Navy, there is no interest in reliving my non-existent Rambo days. Let’s be crystal clear on that. Besides PowerPoint, I’ll be doing staff officer sorts of things.
He will be missed during his tour. (A whole year without Smitty’s music references is going to be a touch less melodic.) I wish him a safe journey and a speedy return.
If you would like to do something in honor of Smitty and all our veterans and active duty military, go to Soldiers Angels and donate to Project Valor-IT.
Here are some other military charities that will help you brighten someone’s day and give thanks personally:
- Operation Gratitude … send a care package
- eMail Our Military … send an email
- TAPS … Tragedy Assistance for Survivors (comfort and care for all who have lost a loved one in the military)
And some excellent military blogs:
- MilBlogging … compilation of military blogs
- Bouhammer … Afghanistan blog
- This Ain’t Hell …But You Can See It From Here (probably my favorite military read…if forced to pick one)
- Blackfive … general military, Team Army leader for Project Valor-IT
- Mudville Gazette … general military, Team Air Force leader for Project Valor-IT
- Cassy Fiano … the female perspective on military, Team Marine leader for Project Valor-IT
- USNI … the US Naval Institute and Project Valor-IT leader for Team…..Navy
Thanks again to all our veterans. We remember.